What we do and who we are…
As a group we have a lot of talents, some creative, others useful, but most of involve laughter.
Most of our efforts and projects focus on the pursuit of exercising our creativity and zeal for trying new things and pushing our skills into new areas while having a ton of fun in the process.
Occasionally, the audience is along for the ride on the laugh wagon as well.
Here are a few of our creative efforts…
- We love improv, the excitement of not knowing what challenges (i.e. horrific audience suggestions) we are going to face…sometimes its like boldly going ..other times is a train wreck of hysterical proportions. Either way, Improv is our specialty and we love it – from short form to long form – we love creating the ‘art of the moment’.
- One of our trademarks is our improv comedy water balloon shows, which we do at outdoor venues. These are designed for the ultimate in audience feedback, and are geared for non-traditional venues.
- One of our favorite works is “The Complete works of William Shakespeare: Abridged!”, by the Reduced Shakespeare Company. This is a brilliant work, invoking both the bawdy and the sublime. We have performed this great work across the state, and may bring it back in the future.
- With a background of independent scripted comedy behind us, The Motley Players have several other self-written pieces on the drawing board. Most of these projects are based on a collaborate writing/performing method, using improvisation as a ‘test model’ so to speak.
New Media Projects
- Podcasts: After a lot of consideration, research and prodding, The Motley Players have finally embarked on our podcasting projects. Born from earlier ideas of recording street performances, our podcasting efforts are off the ground. You can see them here on our site, and soon on itunes as well.
- Voicework: Building upon our individual voice talent experiences, we are in the process of producing various voice projects; from the humorous to the dramatic, classics and group written – stay tuned for releases.
- Video Shorts: The advent of Internet publishing and technology advances have opened up a lot of opportunities for wannabe-film makers…including us! The Motley Players have a few video projects in early planning and scripting stages, and are consulting with more experienced filmmakers. Two such projects have semi-working titles of “The Gold Fish Diaries” and “Dwight Markel: Cat-Repo Man”. Yes, you read that right.
Non-Traditional Improvisational Theater
- We have been experimenting with new show formats, a blending of both classical long-form improv with short-form structures. So far, this experiment has gone well, and we continue to refine and grow with this work. We also have plans for full blown long-form productions, but that will vary based on our fan base reception (i.e. will you fork over $15 bucks a ticket to see cutting edge stuff?).
- One of the axioms of communication is never more true: it is not what you say, but how you say it. An engaged audience will maintain focus, and retain the core messages presented.
- Sure, we speak business too…and we know that the cornerstones of improv – active listening, trust, and teamwork – make for exciting exercises for companies wanting to build skills and relationships in their teams.
- We also offer salvation for boring speakers and event doldrums with our high energy icebreaker activities and break-out comedy sessions.
Comedy and Public Speaking Workshops
- Built upon our performance experience and professional backgrounds in training, we offer workshops in foundations of improv comedy, and public speaking. Whether an individual is looking to cultivate their presentation and communication skills, or interested in enhancing their acting and comedic abilities, we have ways to help.
- Our comedy and personal development workshops are scheduled on an on-demand basis contact us for more information.
Learn, love and laugh. It works.